Early Pregnancy Scans (6-14 weeks)
Most women in early pregnancy experience no problems, but unfortunately about 20% end in ectopic pregnancy or miscarriage or may be complicated by pain and bleeding.
We offer scans before your 12 week NHS scan for anxious mums. As well as transabdominal scans we can offer transvaginal scans when required (not normally offered by other scanning companies) to give you immediate early reassurance, exclude ectopic pregnancy, check for a heartbeat, see how many weeks pregnant you are and how many babies you are carrying.
With many early pregnancy units stretched to overcapacity, it is not always possible to get a same week appointment. Our pregnancy ultrasound scans are usually available within 24-48 hours.
The main purposes are to:
• exclude ectopic pregnancy (6-7w)
• confirm the pregnancy is viable (7+w)
• identify twins and triplets etc.
• date the pregnancy (work out the Estimated Due Date or EDD)
• identify some major abnormalities
• identify pregnancies at increased risk of chromosomal abnormalities and cardiac defects (Nuchal Translucency Scan)