Invitae Genetic Health Screen
About Hereditary Genetic Testing
All of us have a 1 in 2 lifetime risk of cancer. Most are due to environmental or lifestyle factors and, here in the UK, we have a range of excellent national screening programmes to identify some cancers as early as possible when treatment can often be most effective.
- About 10-15% of cancers are due to inherited genetic mutations and so knowing if you have a genetic mutation can be important in helping to assess your risk of getting cancer (and also of developing cardiovascular disease).
- It also helps you and your clinicians to develop a personalised plan designed to prevent or detect cancers such as breast, ovarian or colorectal cancer.
- Your family and relatives could also benefit – if you’re carrying a genetic mutation then there is a 50% chance that each of your parents, siblings and children could be carrying it too.
About the Invitae Genetic Health Screen
Our most comprehensive proactive health test which analyses more than 145 genes related to inherited cancers, cardiovascular conditions and other conditions that, if detected early, may have effective interventions and preventative measures.
Having the Test
Having a test is a straight-forward process:
- the test is based on a saliva sample (a ‘spit-test’) so there’s no need for any blood tests
- if your clinic offers our tests, then you can request it from them (you’ll book with them, pay them, they will undertake the test with you and talk to you about your results)
- you can request a test directly from us (you book with us, pay us, we’ll send the test kit to you at home, we’ll provide a pre-test consultation and talk to you about your results.